Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Art

Thought this would be a good time to throw some of my art out there - it would serve as an example of how the visuals will look. I have been creating photo and video art for the last 4-5 years, and painting for the last half of year. It wasn't until recently that I found my real niche. It's really neat when a certain style just takes over - just emerges slowly until you realize it - a very surrealistic experience. I first found this in my videos - I would find hidden under tones, motifs, the video was capturing something hidden from the human eye and then exploiting it to the viewer. There was something dark inside, and also something very poetic. I then ventured into photography, developing my own film and prints. A year later I bought a digital SLR. After a few years of shooting, I realized that my photos were resembling my videos, or my videos a moving image of my photos. There always seemed to be something dark about the image, and either something surrealist (resembling dada comedy, or of a pure dream). One other thing stuck out as well; almost all of the images could not be placed in a certain time or space. Below are a few examples of what I am trying to say (disregard the water mark and size on these, I had them else where online):



In the above photos no place (setting is known or shown). Also pay attention to the perspective - how big is the size of this entity? Is it 2 inches big, or as big as a school gym? What time period was it taken?



This photo was staged by me - this doesn't happen often, I usually catch the moment in the act, but I had a vision of this that haunted me until I made it come to life. I get a very dark feeling from this photo, but yet it is a beautiful image. Is the tree on fire? Why is it deserted? Who lives here? What is going on? It has a very mysterious presence.



Although I feel that this is not one of my strongest images when framed, I really enjoy it. It expresses my style very vividly revealing no time, space, or the context of what is going on (the event). A girl hanging upside down surrounded by bubbles.



One last example - another non-objective piece - another entity of itself. I always tell people to picture in their heads, where the photographer was when taking something, and what was going on around him.

I have included two of my videos below as well to give you an idea of how they are a living and moving version of my photos. This will also give you an idea of what is to come with our project.



No comments:

Post a Comment